Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Before beginning any unit, we always like to find a way to get students excited about the text we’ll be reading. In the past, we’ve done what we call “Five Words” (students are given 5 words and asked to write a sentence using those five words about what the story will be about), we’ve also done “Popcorn Predictions” (students are given various sentences from the text – one sentence per student – and they “pop” around the classroom, sharing their sentences with others to come up with predictions). For my Romeo and Juliet unit, however, I wanted to do something that was a little bit more controversial – to get them really excited for the themes and events that were to unfold in the play …

So, I did a post-it note activity.
A fun and FREE pre-reading activity for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet! 5 thought-provoking questions that focus on the mains themes from the play - these will be sure to get your students excited and engaged!

I hung up five posters around the room that had relatively controversial questions on them. From “Do you believe in love at first sight?” to “Can loyalty ever go too far?” to get students really thinking about themes we would soon be encountering in the play.

Each student was asked to take out 5 post-it notes (they have their own in our class, but you could easily pass out post-its to your kids), and walk around the room to respond to the questions, leaving their answer on a post-it where the question was.

After all students had written their answers, I then walked around to each question, reading off some of the responses and then opening it up to the class to share and debate their viewpoints. It was really exciting and interesting! Especially the “Do you believe in love at first sight?” question – one of my boys had an incredibly insightful response, touching on the idea of lust vs. love and what truly qualifies as love. Needless to say, I was really happy with the end result.

If you want to use these same questions in your study of Romeo and Juliet, you can grab them by adding your email address below!

We’ll be sending your Romeo and Juliet posters your way soon!

Sign up below to have them sent to your inbox 🙂

We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Powered By ConvertKit

Pin this post for later!
    EB Academic Camps

All posts

6 Comments

• Jennifer E Abrams February 5, 2019 at 11:32 am

For some reason, when I “click here”, fill in my information and click to send it, it stays stuck on that screen FOR.EV.ER. Any chance I can have it sent to my email?
    jabrams@akronk12.org
    I will sign up for your mailing list–I just can’t seem to get the link to work!

• Caitlin February 5, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I just went ahead and manually added you in to receive the resource. You’ll receive an email from us first to confirm your email address and then it will be on its way to you! So sorry for the issue … looks like we have some kinks to figure out.

Thank you!
      Caitlin

• Parwez April 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Hi. I tried to fill in my details but I get a response stating “TypeError: Failed to fetch”

I am very interested in being able to use the resource and was wondering if you wouldn’t mind emailing it at : parweza@isn.school.fj

Your help would be much appreciated.

Parwez

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:13 am

Hi Parwez,

I went ahead an automatically added you into the form, so please be on the lookout for an email to confirm your email address and then you’ll receive the link to grab the resource. So sorry about that!

Caitlin

• Siobhan April 18, 2019 at 7:05 am

I sent a request but haven’t received a code yet. Can you sign me up? ryan.siobhan@brevardschools.org
    Thanks!

• Caitlin April 22, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Hi there!

It looks like an email was sent to you – you just need to confirm your email address first (this is in that email). Then you’ll receive the download. I’d suggest checking your trash/spam folder!

Caitlin

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• This honestly might be my favorite tip I’ve EVER come across on IG. EVER!!! 🤗🤗🤗 It’s from my friend Melissa @readingandwritinghaven ⁣
It’s meant to ensure you’re not teaching writing genres in isolation. KEY 👌🏼 ⁣
Here’s how it works:⁣
- Take a topic and put it in the middle⁣
- Brainstorm possible titles or questions related to that topic that could be addressed in different genres ⁣
- Give students choice and have them pick 1-2 genres to write ⁣
Honestly. Brilliant. ⁣
⁣
Thanks @readingandwritinghaven !! And if you aren’t a fan of Melissa yet, you definitely should be 😘♥️
    • It’s about this time of year that I always seem to think about quitting. Every year. Without fail. ⁣
And I think it’s because it’s the hardest part. ⁣
⁣
Just like how at the gym you think there’s no way in HECK you can do that last push-up or that last squat. ⁣
⁣
May is that last lunge. ⁣
⁣
But I remind myself every time, that I’ve left teaching twice only to be MISERABLE. ⁣
⁣
The grass almost always looks greener. But it’s not always greener. ⁣
⁣
Just take care of yourself, let things go, give every piece of effort, and then enjoy your summer knowing you reached deep within yourself to make it there. ⁣
⁣
And make it there happily, filled with contentment. ⁣
Happy Friday in May, friends. Love you guys 😘 📸 @carlacoulson
    • Tell me what you’re teaching right now 👇🏼 Seriously! Let’s get a catalogue of awesome content, so we can all learn from each other!⁣
⁣
I’m currently teaching a fan favorite “The Cask of Amontillado” - the irony, the foreshadowing, the evil soul of Montressor ... it is SO GOOD. ⁣
⁣
Anyhow, we’re still trucking along to the end! Keeping it interesting and engaging with great lit!⁣
⁣
Love you guys 😘 Keep up the good work!
    • When is your bedtime? Because please tell me I’m not the only one 🙋🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ (I might even change that to 8:30 at this point 😆).⁣
Happy Monday, friends 💕 ⁣
⁣
Let’s kick this week off with a bang! I’ve got an awesome podcast episode coming out tomorrow with my friend, Holly @researchandplay and next week’s episode is going to be *JUST* what you need to hear this time of year. ⁣
Love you guys! 😘
    • My Mom’s best advice ...?⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
Life is short. Drink the Chardonnay. Eat the carbs. Travel the world 😂😘 (Which is precisely what we’re doing in this pic from our last trip to Italy together) ♥️ Gotta love her. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣
Happy Mother’s Day! I am a proud momma to my little William and two furry boys, Charlie and Huckleberry 👶🏼🐕🐕 and just want to celebrate all the women in our lives - whether you are a mom, hoping to become a mom, or don’t have the desire to be a mom. ⁣
Women are amazing!⁣
⁣
What’s your mom’s best advice?
    • Double tap if this students’ response was on point and made you laugh 😂😆 Honestly this is one of my favorite IG posts I’ve ever seen! Thanks @helloteacherlady for spreading the laughs 🤗

×