Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Before beginning any unit, we always like to find a way to get students excited about the text we’ll be reading. In the past, we’ve done what we call “Five Words” (students are given 5 words and asked to write a sentence using those five words about what the story will be about), we’ve also done “Popcorn Predictions” (students are given various sentences from the text – one sentence per student – and they “pop” around the classroom, sharing their sentences with others to come up with predictions). For my Romeo and Juliet unit, however, I wanted to do something that was a little bit more controversial – to get them really excited for the themes and events that were to unfold in the play …

So, I did a post-it note activity.
A fun and FREE pre-reading activity for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet! 5 thought-provoking questions that focus on the mains themes from the play - these will be sure to get your students excited and engaged!

I hung up five posters around the room that had relatively controversial questions on them. From “Do you believe in love at first sight?” to “Can loyalty ever go too far?” to get students really thinking about themes we would soon be encountering in the play.

Each student was asked to take out 5 post-it notes (they have their own in our class, but you could easily pass out post-its to your kids), and walk around the room to respond to the questions, leaving their answer on a post-it where the question was.

After all students had written their answers, I then walked around to each question, reading off some of the responses and then opening it up to the class to share and debate their viewpoints. It was really exciting and interesting! Especially the “Do you believe in love at first sight?” question – one of my boys had an incredibly insightful response, touching on the idea of lust vs. love and what truly qualifies as love. Needless to say, I was really happy with the end result.

If you want to use these same questions in your study of Romeo and Juliet, you can grab them by adding your email address below!

We’ll be sending your Romeo and Juliet posters your way soon!

Sign up below to have them sent to your inbox 🙂

We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Powered By ConvertKit

Pin this post for later!
    EB Academic Camps

All posts

6 Comments

• Jennifer E Abrams February 5, 2019 at 11:32 am

For some reason, when I “click here”, fill in my information and click to send it, it stays stuck on that screen FOR.EV.ER. Any chance I can have it sent to my email?
    jabrams@akronk12.org
    I will sign up for your mailing list–I just can’t seem to get the link to work!

• Caitlin February 5, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I just went ahead and manually added you in to receive the resource. You’ll receive an email from us first to confirm your email address and then it will be on its way to you! So sorry for the issue … looks like we have some kinks to figure out.

Thank you!
      Caitlin

• Parwez April 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Hi. I tried to fill in my details but I get a response stating “TypeError: Failed to fetch”

I am very interested in being able to use the resource and was wondering if you wouldn’t mind emailing it at : parweza@isn.school.fj

Your help would be much appreciated.

Parwez

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:13 am

Hi Parwez,

I went ahead an automatically added you into the form, so please be on the lookout for an email to confirm your email address and then you’ll receive the link to grab the resource. So sorry about that!

Caitlin

• Siobhan April 18, 2019 at 7:05 am

I sent a request but haven’t received a code yet. Can you sign me up? ryan.siobhan@brevardschools.org
    Thanks!

• Caitlin April 22, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Hi there!

It looks like an email was sent to you – you just need to confirm your email address first (this is in that email). Then you’ll receive the download. I’d suggest checking your trash/spam folder!

Caitlin

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• It is very possible that today’s podcast episode will completely contradict a major component of the way you teach literary analysis.
In the episode, we reveal our third game-changing strategy for teaching evidence-based writing, and we’re asking you to take a breath, suspend judgement for a moment, and allow us to walk you through exactly why we believe in this strategy, even though it goes against the grain.
Continue listening to the episode here —> ebacademics.com/35
    • Let me know in the comments which camp you’re in?⁣
Holiday music right after Halloween!! 🎄 ⁣
Or ... You’re crazy, it’s WAY too early to start listening to holiday music! 😱⁣
⁣
Well, I used to be the latter, but the other day “White Christmas” came on, and I just decided to FULLY embrace the holidays early this year 😂 Oh well!⁣
⁣
With that being said, this Gingerbread House for Sale Descriptive Writing Activity is an AMAZING resource for your middle schoolers to dive into right before the break!⁣
⁣
Things are INSANE this time of year and kids need something that is engaging and fun, yet highly rigorous and academic 🎄 That’s exactly what this resource is! ✅ ⁣
Let me know in the comments if you’d like me to DM you the link! Or you can visit the link in our profile as well 😘⁣
⁣
And if you already have and have used this resource in the past, I would LOVE to know that as well!!⁣
Hope you all are having a restful Sunday ♥️
    • One of the biggest mistakes we can make as writing teachers is requiring our students to start their essays with a HOOK.
With this strategy, students gets STUCK on that first sentence before they can even get a chance to get to the heart of their paper! They end up wasting tons of precious writing time trying to come up with an interesting hook that oftentimes is a stretch.
Instead, we want to give our students a CLEAR roadmap to begin their essays. One that will give them confidence in their abilities from the get go. One that allows them to quickly move into the meat of their critical analysis, so they can truly show us what they've learned.
If you've ever taught hook and are ready to try a new, counterintuitive approach that WORKS and gives your students RESULTS, this episode is a MUST listen.
Head over here to give it a listen --> ebacademics.com/34
    • Double tap if you agree ♥️♥️⁣
⁣
And if you need to call in sick to take a mental health day for yourself. DO IT. Take a day off and go get a pedicure, or go shopping, or go workout!⁣
⁣
Do whatever you need to do to get to the place of your best self. ⁣
⁣
I used to work with a teacher who took a mental health day every month. It was when I first started teaching, and I didn’t get it. Why was she doing that?⁣
⁣
Well, fast forward to a decade in the classroom later, and now I truly see the value and importance of doing that! ⁣
⁣
I know you hear it all the time, but let it sink in ...⁣
⁣
You need to do what’s best for YOU and take care of yourself first. If we aren’t operating from our best selves, then we’re not able to serve anyone the way that we’re capable of. ⁣
⁣
On another note, hope you all enjoyed that extra hour of sleep last night! And if you have young children, I can commiserate. My little guy woke up at 6:30 😂😭🤦🏼‍♀️📸 @dumbosteiner
    • Get a quick listen into this week’s podcast episode all about hooking your students into literary analysis writing! We have a free download for you to give you a quick WIN in the classroom. Listen to the rest of the episode and get the free download here -> ebacademics.com/33
    • We get A LOT of questions about classroom management and what to do when your kids are out of control or just not listening. ⁣
⁣
This is worth a read. So keep scrolling down!⁣
⁣
I’ll briefly share some of my thoughts on this (although I would like to do a whole podcast episode about it) ...⁣
⁣
1. You need to clearly communicate your expectations. Always. (Just as this picture shows.)⁣
⁣
2. Have a system in place that you use CONSISTENTLY. Consistency is key with anything, but especially when it comes to your rules, policies, and procedures. ⁣
3. Never, ever yell at your students. Ever. Period. ⁣
4. Come from a place of understanding and compassion. ⁣
⁣
5. Take a moment to have a conversation with individual students after class. Ask them what’s going on and what you can do to help them. Don’t yell at them or make them feel bad. Come from a place of kindness and compassion. If you haven’t tried this approach before, I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the conversation. ⁣
6. Show your students the same amount of respect you expect from them. ⁣
⁣
7. You are the ultimate role model for behavior in your classroom. If you’re yelling or emotionally out of control when handling a situation, think about what that might be saying to your students ...⁣
⁣
Now I KNOW this is HARD, and yes, we make mistakes. And yes, not all of this works all of the time. ⁣
⁣
But what I can tell you is that these practices have been embedded into everything I’ve always done as a teacher, and I very rarely had behavior issues in any of my classrooms (classrooms in a wide range of ages, places, etc). ⁣
⁣
What else would you add? A practice that you’ve used year after year that has created a positive and kind classroom culture. Please feel free to share in the comments. I would love to read them ♥️

×