Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Before beginning any unit, we always like to find a way to get students excited about the text we’ll be reading. In the past, we’ve done what we call “Five Words” (students are given 5 words and asked to write a sentence using those five words about what the story will be about), we’ve also done “Popcorn Predictions” (students are given various sentences from the text – one sentence per student – and they “pop” around the classroom, sharing their sentences with others to come up with predictions). For my Romeo and Juliet unit, however, I wanted to do something that was a little bit more controversial – to get them really excited for the themes and events that were to unfold in the play …

So, I did a post-it note activity.
A fun and FREE pre-reading activity for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet! 5 thought-provoking questions that focus on the mains themes from the play - these will be sure to get your students excited and engaged!

I hung up five posters around the room that had relatively controversial questions on them. From “Do you believe in love at first sight?” to “Can loyalty ever go too far?” to get students really thinking about themes we would soon be encountering in the play.

Each student was asked to take out 5 post-it notes (they have their own in our class, but you could easily pass out post-its to your kids), and walk around the room to respond to the questions, leaving their answer on a post-it where the question was.

After all students had written their answers, I then walked around to each question, reading off some of the responses and then opening it up to the class to share and debate their viewpoints. It was really exciting and interesting! Especially the “Do you believe in love at first sight?” question – one of my boys had an incredibly insightful response, touching on the idea of lust vs. love and what truly qualifies as love. Needless to say, I was really happy with the end result.

If you want to use these same questions in your study of Romeo and Juliet, you can grab them by adding your email address below!

We’ll be sending your Romeo and Juliet posters your way soon!

Sign up below to have them sent to your inbox 🙂

We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Powered By ConvertKit

Pin this post for later!
    EB Academic Camps

All posts

6 Comments

• Jennifer E Abrams February 5, 2019 at 11:32 am

For some reason, when I “click here”, fill in my information and click to send it, it stays stuck on that screen FOR.EV.ER. Any chance I can have it sent to my email?
    jabrams@akronk12.org
    I will sign up for your mailing list–I just can’t seem to get the link to work!

• Caitlin February 5, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I just went ahead and manually added you in to receive the resource. You’ll receive an email from us first to confirm your email address and then it will be on its way to you! So sorry for the issue … looks like we have some kinks to figure out.

Thank you!
      Caitlin

• Parwez April 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Hi. I tried to fill in my details but I get a response stating “TypeError: Failed to fetch”

I am very interested in being able to use the resource and was wondering if you wouldn’t mind emailing it at : parweza@isn.school.fj

Your help would be much appreciated.

Parwez

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:13 am

Hi Parwez,

I went ahead an automatically added you into the form, so please be on the lookout for an email to confirm your email address and then you’ll receive the link to grab the resource. So sorry about that!

Caitlin

• Siobhan April 18, 2019 at 7:05 am

I sent a request but haven’t received a code yet. Can you sign me up? ryan.siobhan@brevardschools.org
    Thanks!

• Caitlin April 22, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Hi there!

It looks like an email was sent to you – you just need to confirm your email address first (this is in that email). Then you’ll receive the download. I’d suggest checking your trash/spam folder!

Caitlin

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• You guys!! 🥳🎉 ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Our FREE ebook is done and ready for you!! 😘😘⁣⁣
⁣⁣
We’ve included over 25 pages of content that includes tips, strategies, structures, free lesson plan ideas, activities, and links to even MORE free content! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
... plus a special link to our Balanced Teaching Approach Facebook Group where we have ANOTHER free resource download for you as well ♥️ ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Come join us on this journey to find more balance in your teaching life 😘 ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
LMK in the comments if you’d like me to DM you the link!
    • I put our new office together with a few things in mind: calmness, brightness, and functionality ♥️ I have to say, we really love getting to work in this space each day!
    • Surprise!! 🥳🎉 ⁣
⁣
... and no, I’m not back in the classroom (although I kind of wish I was!) ...⁣
⁣
But even more exciting for YOU is that our ELA Masterclass Mini Series from last year is coming back!! ⁣
⁣
I’ve teamed up with @buildingbooklove @readitwriteitlearnit @readingandwritinghaven and @doccopteaching to bring you some AMAZING virtual Professional Development!⁣
⁣
Registration opens tomorrow and the virtual sessions will be released on Sunday, September 15th! ⁣
⁣
Make sure to register as soon as we open registration because I know so many of you were bummed to have missed this last year! We can’t wait! 😘♥️
    • Enough said 🍎
    • I’ve gotta be honest in that I am really missing moments like this at the end of a successful teaching day ... 🥺 ⁣
⁣
And this isn’t to say I’m asking for sympathy in any way! I’m very happy and loving supporting teachers and students in a different way this year outside of the classroom!⁣
⁣
But it is to say, I LOVE teaching, and I always will, and I hope at some point in the future to be able to be back in my own classroom doing what I absolutely was put on this earth to do ♥️♥️⁣
⁣
In the meantime, however, Jessica and I have SO much incredible stuff coming your way (free online PD, a free ebook, and so much more!) 😘⁣
⁣
Tomorrow, when you turn on the lights to your classroom and are getting everything set up for your day of teaching, just know that you are making a difference in children’s lives!! 🤗😘♥️
    • Freebie!! Woo hoo!! 🎉🥳🤩 (And yes, Jessica is making an appearance on the gram!!). If you haven’t grabbed our three free weeks of bell ringers from us yet, what are you waiting for?! LMK in the comments if you’d like me to DM you the link to grab them 🤗🤗 I’ll get back to you tonight and over the weekend!

×