Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Romeo and Juliet Pre-Reading Activity

March 17, 2018 6 min read

Before beginning any unit, we always like to find a way to get students excited about the text we’ll be reading. In the past, we’ve done what we call “Five Words” (students are given 5 words and asked to write a sentence using those five words about what the story will be about), we’ve also done “Popcorn Predictions” (students are given various sentences from the text – one sentence per student – and they “pop” around the classroom, sharing their sentences with others to come up with predictions). For my Romeo and Juliet unit, however, I wanted to do something that was a little bit more controversial – to get them really excited for the themes and events that were to unfold in the play …

So, I did a post-it note activity.
A fun and FREE pre-reading activity for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet! 5 thought-provoking questions that focus on the mains themes from the play - these will be sure to get your students excited and engaged!

I hung up five posters around the room that had relatively controversial questions on them. From “Do you believe in love at first sight?” to “Can loyalty ever go too far?” to get students really thinking about themes we would soon be encountering in the play.

Each student was asked to take out 5 post-it notes (they have their own in our class, but you could easily pass out post-its to your kids), and walk around the room to respond to the questions, leaving their answer on a post-it where the question was.

After all students had written their answers, I then walked around to each question, reading off some of the responses and then opening it up to the class to share and debate their viewpoints. It was really exciting and interesting! Especially the “Do you believe in love at first sight?” question – one of my boys had an incredibly insightful response, touching on the idea of lust vs. love and what truly qualifies as love. Needless to say, I was really happy with the end result.

If you want to use these same questions in your study of Romeo and Juliet, you can grab them by adding your email address below!

We’ll be sending your Romeo and Juliet posters your way soon!

Sign up below to have them sent to your inbox 🙂

We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Powered By ConvertKit

Pin this post for later!
    EB Academic Camps

All posts

6 Comments

• Jennifer E Abrams February 5, 2019 at 11:32 am

For some reason, when I “click here”, fill in my information and click to send it, it stays stuck on that screen FOR.EV.ER. Any chance I can have it sent to my email?
    jabrams@akronk12.org
    I will sign up for your mailing list–I just can’t seem to get the link to work!

• Caitlin February 5, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jennifer!

I just went ahead and manually added you in to receive the resource. You’ll receive an email from us first to confirm your email address and then it will be on its way to you! So sorry for the issue … looks like we have some kinks to figure out.

Thank you!
      Caitlin

• Parwez April 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Hi. I tried to fill in my details but I get a response stating “TypeError: Failed to fetch”

I am very interested in being able to use the resource and was wondering if you wouldn’t mind emailing it at : parweza@isn.school.fj

Your help would be much appreciated.

Parwez

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:13 am

Hi Parwez,

I went ahead an automatically added you into the form, so please be on the lookout for an email to confirm your email address and then you’ll receive the link to grab the resource. So sorry about that!

Caitlin

• Siobhan April 18, 2019 at 7:05 am

I sent a request but haven’t received a code yet. Can you sign me up? ryan.siobhan@brevardschools.org
    Thanks!

• Caitlin April 22, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Hi there!

It looks like an email was sent to you – you just need to confirm your email address first (this is in that email). Then you’ll receive the download. I’d suggest checking your trash/spam folder!

Caitlin

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• There aren’t many other professions that allow you to have the kind of impact on a child’s life the way that teaching does. ⁣
⁣
And teaching English (yes, I know I started my sentence with “and”) always made me feel ALIVE. ⁣
⁣
It brought out so much emotion, and joy, and passion. ⁣
⁣
The reason I wanted to become an English teacher was because of my high school English teacher, Mr. Jaeger. He stood on desks, walked around with a wooden sword as a prop, and loved Gatsby and Kerouac and Emerson. ⁣
⁣
What an impact he had on my life!!⁣
⁣
Just know that in some way, YOU are having the same sort of impact on a student’s life in your classroom, too. ⁣
⁣
As the year gets just a little bit closer to starting, I just wanted to remind you of the impact you have and the difference you really DO make. ⁣
You are amazing 😘
    • As I’m sure you may have seen on our IG and social media, we recently opened the doors to our EB Teachers’ Club ...⁣
⁣
As a teacher, you know teachers can be ...⁣
Overstressed. ⁣
Overworked. ⁣
And just plain TIRED. ⁣
⁣
Now is the time to change that narrative. ⁣
Take back your summer. Take back your Sundays. Take back your TIME. ⁣
Just like Kasey, an EB Teacher, has taken back her time: ⁣
⁣
“EB Academics has come at such a pivotal time in my life, and I feel like there is hope for me to prioritize family time over urgent teaching needs. I knew there was a way to plan well, teach well, AND have joy, but I was not able to get there myself. ⁣
I appreciate both Caitlin and Jessica, and I look forward to what's in store!”⁣
Doors close TONIGHT at 9PM California time!!⁣
⁣
This is your LAST CHANCE to become an EB Teacher before doors close until January 2020! 🎉⁣
⁣
Let this be the year you get your balance, confidence, and clarity back!⁣
⁣
Come join us tonight by sending us a DM, visiting the link in our profile, or going to ebacademics.com/membership ⁣
We can’t wait for you to become an EB Teacher! 🥳
    • Don’t miss out! Doors close tomorrow! ⁣
⁣
Our EB Teachers absolutely LOVE The EB Teachers Club - the amazing content, the professional development Trainings, the community! ⁣
⁣
We can’t wait to have you join us!⁣
⁣
This is the LOWEST price our membership will ever be, so if you’re on the fence, feel free to send us a DM because we wouldn’t want you to miss out on this opportunity!⁣
⁣
Send me a DM if you’d like more information!
    • Let me know in the comments if you have a special reading area or nook for your students! If so, what does it look like?⁣
⁣
I really love the various nooks and design ideas that Elizabeth from @4thgradeunicorns ⁣shares ♥️
⁣
Not everything about the design of your classroom has to be crazy and over the top. Just giving students a special place to sit and read a book with a floor pillow is pretty much all you need to make reading feel just a bit more magical and special to them. ⁣
⁣
Don’t get caught up in having an IG or Pinterest-worthy classroom library!⁣
⁣
Grab some old furniture and a throw pillow and you’re good to go 🤗⁣
⁣
Hope you guys have a great weekend!
    • Being a teacher is seriously TOUGH work. ⁣
⁣
It can be so incredibly exhausting sometimes that even folding that massive pile of laundry ends up going to the wayside for WEEKS. Please tell me I’m not alone in that?! 😱⁣
⁣
But I’ll tell you right now that what made a difference for me in my classroom for the past handful of years was ...⁣
... being prepared. ⁣
Yep. As simple as that sounds. ⁣
Lesson planning in advance. ⁣
Knowing EXACTLY what I was going to teach and when. ⁣
⁣
Knowing how I was going to open and close my class each and every day. ⁣
⁣
Knowing how I was going to incorporate engaging activities that nailed those standards. ⁣
And honestly, it finally made me feel like. I. Got. This. 🎉⁣
And THAT was a great feeling. ⁣
⁣
Jessica and I are here to help you get that same feeling with our totally **FREE** Balanced Teaching Approach Online Workshop specifically designed for Middle School ELA Teachers. ⁣
But, it’s being archived on July 9th, so now is the time to join us!⁣
⁣
If you’re interested in getting your weekends and weeknights back and feeling that same way I did, send me a DM, and I’ll get the link to register for free over to you ASAP!⁣
We’ve got you! 😘
    • How often do you have students clean out their binders/desks? Because I love this idea to Marie Kondo student binders from @theclassroomsparrow 😂🤗 She has great blog posts and ELA content ideas, if you’re looking for another ELA teacher to follow! ♥️

×