Pre-Reading Activity for Any Novel: Popcorn Predictions - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Pre-Reading Activity for Any Novel: Popcorn Predictions

September 11, 2018 3 min read

Pre-Reading Activity for Any Novel: Popcorn Predictions

September 11, 2018 3 min read

One of my favorite things to do before we begin a novel is have students make predictions about what the text will be about. I do this for a few reasons. One, it’s fun! Two, it gets them invested in what we’re about to read – they always want to know if their predictions are correct. And three, this popcorn predictions activity gets them up and moving around while using their inferencing skills! It’s a win-win all around.

Here’s what I do …

Prep beforehand.

I first comb through the book and search for quotes that I can pull that are relevant to the story, but don’t give too much of it away. For this specific predictions activity, I chose 24 quotes from The House on Mango Street. I typed all of those quotes out, printed them, and then cut them up so that each quote was on a separate strip of paper.

I also create a recording sheet for students that has five spaces for them to make their recordings (which I will explain further down in this post). I print out enough copies of this sheet, and I’m ready to go!

Here’s what it looks like in action!

Explain to students that they are going to be participating in an activity that requires them to make predictions about the text based on quotes from the text, itself. When making their predictions, students should make sure to use the quotes to make predictions that are based on the actual quote. They should not be making some outlandish prediction that has nothing to do with what the quote includes!

Then, explain to students that they will each receive a sentence strip. Once they receive their first strip, they should make their first prediction about the text in the first box. I like to give my kids 90 seconds to complete this (it keeps the activity moving along). Then, students will “pop” around the room to find someone to switch their sentence strip with. After they receive their new strip, they will make a second prediction about the text with this new information. Again, I only give them 90 seconds to switch with someone and write down their prediction. We do this 3 times total, so that they have seen 4 different sentence strips and have made 4 different predictions – each one more detailed after having read more about the book.

Finally, students will work with a small group to share their predictions with one another. After discussing everyone’s predictions, the group will come up with one, final prediction to share with the class.

In Closing …

Once the activity is completed, students share out their predictions with the class. It’s fun to see if some students have made similar predictions or if anyone is really close to what the book is actually about! The kids love it, and it’s a great way to start any novel.

You can click here to grab your Popcorn Predictions Recording Sheet that I use – I’ll send it right to your inbox!

Also, make sure to follow us on Teachers Pay Teachers to be notified when we upload new resources! We always do a special discount when we release a new resource, so it pays to follow us!

Save this post for later!

Caitlin

All posts

6 Comments

• Kristin Green January 6, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I love love love this activity! It’s so perfect for any novel! Thanks for making it free! Unfortunately, I ran into the problem of the link not working, so I was unable to sign up to get the Recording Sheet. Could you please send it to me?
    Thanks!

So thankful I ran into your blog!

• Caitlin January 13, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Hi Kristin!

We fixed the link and sent you an email! So sorry about that. Thanks for following along! 🙂

– Caitlin

• Amber April 14, 2019 at 10:02 am

Hi! I was hoping to do this activity with my Outsiders unit. However, I am having trouble getting the link to load. It just keeps reloading the current page.

I am also using the posters you suggested! I LOVE your new podcast.

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:11 am

Hi Amber!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m not sure why that happened, but I fixed the link for you. It should work now. Thank you!

Caitlin

• Ashli July 21, 2019 at 11:56 am

I am looking forward to doing this with my students this year. Thank you for sharing such fun and engaging activities that get the children thinking and moving.

• Caitlin August 1, 2019 at 10:23 am

It’s such a fun activity for the kids! Enjoy, Ashli! 🙂
      Caitlin

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• You guys!! 🥳🎉 ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Our FREE ebook is done and ready for you!! 😘😘⁣⁣
⁣⁣
We’ve included over 25 pages of content that includes tips, strategies, structures, free lesson plan ideas, activities, and links to even MORE free content! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
... plus a special link to our Balanced Teaching Approach Facebook Group where we have ANOTHER free resource download for you as well ♥️ ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Come join us on this journey to find more balance in your teaching life 😘 ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
LMK in the comments if you’d like me to DM you the link!
    • I put our new office together with a few things in mind: calmness, brightness, and functionality ♥️ I have to say, we really love getting to work in this space each day!
    • Surprise!! 🥳🎉 ⁣
⁣
... and no, I’m not back in the classroom (although I kind of wish I was!) ...⁣
⁣
But even more exciting for YOU is that our ELA Masterclass Mini Series from last year is coming back!! ⁣
⁣
I’ve teamed up with @buildingbooklove @readitwriteitlearnit @readingandwritinghaven and @doccopteaching to bring you some AMAZING virtual Professional Development!⁣
⁣
Registration opens tomorrow and the virtual sessions will be released on Sunday, September 15th! ⁣
⁣
Make sure to register as soon as we open registration because I know so many of you were bummed to have missed this last year! We can’t wait! 😘♥️
    • Enough said 🍎
    • I’ve gotta be honest in that I am really missing moments like this at the end of a successful teaching day ... 🥺 ⁣
⁣
And this isn’t to say I’m asking for sympathy in any way! I’m very happy and loving supporting teachers and students in a different way this year outside of the classroom!⁣
⁣
But it is to say, I LOVE teaching, and I always will, and I hope at some point in the future to be able to be back in my own classroom doing what I absolutely was put on this earth to do ♥️♥️⁣
⁣
In the meantime, however, Jessica and I have SO much incredible stuff coming your way (free online PD, a free ebook, and so much more!) 😘⁣
⁣
Tomorrow, when you turn on the lights to your classroom and are getting everything set up for your day of teaching, just know that you are making a difference in children’s lives!! 🤗😘♥️
    • Freebie!! Woo hoo!! 🎉🥳🤩 (And yes, Jessica is making an appearance on the gram!!). If you haven’t grabbed our three free weeks of bell ringers from us yet, what are you waiting for?! LMK in the comments if you’d like me to DM you the link to grab them 🤗🤗 I’ll get back to you tonight and over the weekend!

×