Pre-Reading Activity for Any Novel: Popcorn Predictions - EB Academics

Grab Your Free Writing Guide

Become an EB Insider Today

Pre-Reading Activity for Any Novel: Popcorn Predictions

September 11, 2018 3 min read

One of my favorite things to do before we begin a novel is have students make predictions about what the text will be about. I do this for a few reasons. One, it’s fun! Two, it gets them invested in what we’re about to read – they always want to know if their predictions are correct. And three, this popcorn predictions activity gets them up and moving around while using their inferencing skills! It’s a win-win all around.

Here’s what I do …

Prep beforehand.

I first comb through the book and search for quotes that I can pull that are relevant to the story, but don’t give too much of it away. For this specific predictions activity, I chose 24 quotes from The House on Mango Street. I typed all of those quotes out, printed them, and then cut them up so that each quote was on a separate strip of paper.

I also create a recording sheet for students that has five spaces for them to make their recordings (which I will explain further down in this post). I print out enough copies of this sheet, and I’m ready to go!

Here’s what it looks like in action!

Explain to students that they are going to be participating in an activity that requires them to make predictions about the text based on quotes from the text, itself. When making their predictions, students should make sure to use the quotes to make predictions that are based on the actual quote. They should not be making some outlandish prediction that has nothing to do with what the quote includes!

Then, explain to students that they will each receive a sentence strip. Once they receive their first strip, they should make their first prediction about the text in the first box. I like to give my kids 90 seconds to complete this (it keeps the activity moving along). Then, students will “pop” around the room to find someone to switch their sentence strip with. After they receive their new strip, they will make a second prediction about the text with this new information. Again, I only give them 90 seconds to switch with someone and write down their prediction. We do this 3 times total, so that they have seen 4 different sentence strips and have made 4 different predictions – each one more detailed after having read more about the book.

Finally, students will work with a small group to share their predictions with one another. After discussing everyone’s predictions, the group will come up with one, final prediction to share with the class.

In Closing …

Once the activity is completed, students share out their predictions with the class. It’s fun to see if some students have made similar predictions or if anyone is really close to what the book is actually about! The kids love it, and it’s a great way to start any novel.

You can click here to grab your Popcorn Predictions Recording Sheet that I use – I’ll send it right to your inbox!

Also, make sure to follow us on Teachers Pay Teachers to be notified when we upload new resources! We always do a special discount when we release a new resource, so it pays to follow us!

Save this post for later!

Caitlin

All posts

8 Comments

• Kristin Green January 6, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I love love love this activity! It’s so perfect for any novel! Thanks for making it free! Unfortunately, I ran into the problem of the link not working, so I was unable to sign up to get the Recording Sheet. Could you please send it to me?
    Thanks!

So thankful I ran into your blog!

• Caitlin January 13, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Hi Kristin!

We fixed the link and sent you an email! So sorry about that. Thanks for following along! 🙂

– Caitlin

• Amber April 14, 2019 at 10:02 am

Hi! I was hoping to do this activity with my Outsiders unit. However, I am having trouble getting the link to load. It just keeps reloading the current page.

I am also using the posters you suggested! I LOVE your new podcast.

• Caitlin April 14, 2019 at 10:11 am

Hi Amber!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m not sure why that happened, but I fixed the link for you. It should work now. Thank you!

Caitlin

• Ashli July 21, 2019 at 11:56 am

I am looking forward to doing this with my students this year. Thank you for sharing such fun and engaging activities that get the children thinking and moving.

• Caitlin August 1, 2019 at 10:23 am

It’s such a fun activity for the kids! Enjoy, Ashli! 🙂
      Caitlin

• Lisa September 16, 2019 at 4:57 pm

I’m having trouble too. I submitted my email but I didn’t get anything to confirm my subscription.

• Caitlin September 25, 2019 at 11:10 am

Hi Lisa!

Did you check your spam or use a school email address? Sometimes, schools will block our emails. Please feel free to send me an email at caitlinandjessica@ebacademics.com

Thanks!

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there! We're two middle school ELA teachers with a mission to share ideas, tips, and tricks for effectively teaching reading and writing in the secondary classroom. We're so happy you stopped by!

Caitlin + Jessica

Your 15 Free Resources Are Waiting!

Immediately receive access to our
    Free Resource Library

We promise we won't spam you.

Let’s Connect

Popular Posts

Our Latest Posts

Categories

Instagram

• Tell me in the comments below 👇🏼 What type of writing do you HATE teaching the most?⁣
Narratives? Argumentative? Informational? Text-based? ⁣
ALL OF THEM?!⁣
⁣
So many teachers reach out to us about struggles they face when teaching writing, so know that you are NOT ALONE. ⁣
⁣
All of this to say, I love seeing the success of our EB Teachers with writing in their classrooms like Kate from @kateteaching7and8 who is using so many of our EB Teachers’ Club resources to see amazing results for her students!⁣
⁣
I love what Kate has to say about these lessons, “I really feel like the EB Teachers’ Club has me not only feeling more prepared as I start class each day, but also like I’m increasing my expectations and rigor. The greatest part is the kids are rising to meet the new expectations.” 😍♥️🤗
    • Something that I’ve been thinking about lately as I’ve been doing a lot of personal work to grow and become the best version of myself ...⁣
⁣
I think it’s important for us to remember how we are showing up each day. Whether that’s in the classroom or even at home with family and friends. ⁣
Who are we being?⁣
⁣
And why are we being that way?⁣
⁣
If there’s something about yourself that you don’t like, first I want you to question why you feel that way and where that belief about yourself comes from. ⁣
⁣
But then I want to encourage you to think about how you could adjust to be the best version of you. ⁣
⁣
I’ll give you an example from myself ... I am VERY high strung. And I have been telling myself this narrative about who I am for forever. My family tells me. My friends tell me. ⁣
⁣
But that’s not who I want to be and that’s now what I want to define me. ⁣
⁣
So I’ve taken a hard look at why I feel this way about myself, and what I can do to alter that narrative and not be high strung. And not be defined in that way. ⁣
Just some food for thought on a Sunday morning. ⁣
⁣
Feel free to share your thoughts with me ♥️
    • Can I be completely honest for a second?

One thing that I miss about being a classroom teacher (in addition to SO many other things) is dressing up every day 🤷🏼‍♀️ There, I said it 😱

Weird? I don’t know ... maybe, but that’s me.
    • It is very possible that today’s podcast episode will completely contradict a major component of the way you teach literary analysis.
In the episode, we reveal our third game-changing strategy for teaching evidence-based writing, and we’re asking you to take a breath, suspend judgement for a moment, and allow us to walk you through exactly why we believe in this strategy, even though it goes against the grain.
Continue listening to the episode here —> ebacademics.com/35
    • One of the biggest mistakes we can make as writing teachers is requiring our students to start their essays with a HOOK.
With this strategy, students gets STUCK on that first sentence before they can even get a chance to get to the heart of their paper! They end up wasting tons of precious writing time trying to come up with an interesting hook that oftentimes is a stretch.
Instead, we want to give our students a CLEAR roadmap to begin their essays. One that will give them confidence in their abilities from the get go. One that allows them to quickly move into the meat of their critical analysis, so they can truly show us what they've learned.
If you've ever taught hook and are ready to try a new, counterintuitive approach that WORKS and gives your students RESULTS, this episode is a MUST listen.
Head over here to give it a listen --> ebacademics.com/34
    • Double tap if you agree ♥️♥️⁣
⁣
And if you need to call in sick to take a mental health day for yourself. DO IT. Take a day off and go get a pedicure, or go shopping, or go workout!⁣
⁣
Do whatever you need to do to get to the place of your best self. ⁣
⁣
I used to work with a teacher who took a mental health day every month. It was when I first started teaching, and I didn’t get it. Why was she doing that?⁣
⁣
Well, fast forward to a decade in the classroom later, and now I truly see the value and importance of doing that! ⁣
⁣
I know you hear it all the time, but let it sink in ...⁣
⁣
You need to do what’s best for YOU and take care of yourself first. If we aren’t operating from our best selves, then we’re not able to serve anyone the way that we’re capable of. ⁣
⁣
On another note, hope you all enjoyed that extra hour of sleep last night! And if you have young children, I can commiserate. My little guy woke up at 6:30 😂😭🤦🏼‍♀️📸 @dumbosteiner

×