Teachers, you have SO much on your shoulders right now. A pandemic, district mandates, extra responsibilities . . . In this podcast, Caitlin and Jessica will give you five strategies to help reduce your burdens and reclaim your personal life. Take a few minutes to listen, then pick one strategy to try this week!
Caitlin and Jessica will show you how to be clear on your values, set your personal and work boundaries, rely on your colleagues, have your go-to people, and know your bigger “why,” in order to continue the incredibly important job of teaching without burning out.
Along with these great tips, Caitlin and Jessica will share their personal experiences and stories. Teacher burnout is real, but it is not inevitable — listen in to learn how you can do the work you love without sacrificing yourself in the process.
Tune in now to hear:
- [01:40] Caitlin talks about a recent speaker for EB, TedX speaker Blake Fly. She talks about recentering and using gratitude to improve our lives.
- [03:00] Caitlin shares an alarming statistic from 2014 (even before the pandemic!): 500,000 teachers in the U.S. leave the profession every year.
- [03:30] Signs of burnout or impending burnout: feeling exhausted, defeated, overwhelmed, underappreciated, underpaid, undervalued
- [05:40] What is within our control as teachers? The importance of mental attitude.
- [07:00] Setting our values as teachers. What are your non-negotiables?
- [10:00] Changing your schedule and routine to make room for your non-negotiables
- [10:30] How batch planning can you help you make time for what you value
- [11:00] Figuring out what you’re spending your time on each day, so you can make adjustments
- [11:40] The power of saying “no”
- [13:50] Avoiding distractions to get more done
- [15:00] Surrounding yourself with supportive, nurturing people
- [15:50] This goes for social media, too! Sticking to supportive communities when online
- [17:20] The importance of focusing on your wins
- [18:30] Being clear on your “why”
- [21:00] A reminder from Jessica: Start with ONE of these! Don’t overwhelm yourself, but get started in the right direction.
Join Caitlin and Jessica next time as they discuss a great discussion activity — silent debates!
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss a single episode. We add a brand-new episode every week, and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra awesome today, we would be super grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast, and they’re also so much fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let us know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!