If you’re the kind of teacher who stays up at night thinking about your students and lessons, second-guessing the details of your class day or worrying about what you’ll be teaching tomorrow, this episode is for you. Caitlin and Jessica will teach you how to be more prepared for school, so you can turn off teacher-mode at home and sleep easier.
Jessica and Caitlin will show you how repeating your lessons and activities will help ease the burden of lesson planning while also giving your students opportunities to practice and grow. This podcast will give you the permission you may have been looking for to reuse the lessons that work for you and your students, with absolutely no guilt or regrets!
In this episode, you will learn that when you find a lesson that works, there is nothing wrong with repeating it throughout the year! And if you’re looking for ideas for great ideas to “rinse and repeat,” Caitlin and Jessica have you covered with a variety of ideas. Listen today, so you can sleep well tonight!
Tune in now to hear:
- [02:00] Changing your mindset, so you feel more in control of your lessons and your teaching
- [02:30] Caitlin refers to her chapter reading, where she discusses how she briefly left teaching because her schedule was unsustainable
- [04:00] Jessica discusses the game-changing habit that will bring you peace of mind and confidence in your teaching: rinsing and repeating lessons! This means using the same activity multiple times in the year.
- [05:20] How this habit benefits you not just in the classroom, but in your personal life
- [06:10] How your students also benefit from rinse-and-repeat lessons
- [07:00] Jessica walks you through the rinse-and-repeat method with a Socratic Seminar example
- [09:00] Looking for a supportive, collaborative lesson planning event? Join us this summer at Batch Planning Live, June 27 and 28! *Please note this live event has passed
- [10:40] How to schedule your rinse-and-repeat lessons
- [11:40] How repeating activities gives students opportunities to develop their skills
- [12:00] How you can use our Critical Thinking Task Cards or Informational Task Cards for generic questions for Socratic seminars. EB Teachers’ Club Members can use their coupon codes. Non-EB teachers can pick them up here.
- [12:50] Jessica discusses two more great activities to rinse and repeat: investigation trails and one-pagers
- [14:50] Another helpful activity to repeat: responses to literature
- [15:30] Our teachers and their students also love mock trials!
- [17:00] When you find a lesson that works, there is nothing wrong with repeating it throughout the year!
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss a single episode. We add a brand-new episode every week, and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra awesome today, we would be super grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast, and they’re also so much fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let us know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!