Teachers everywhere are looking for ways to bring that spark of wonder back into their classrooms, not just for themselves, but for their students, too. That’s why Jenna Cooper and Abby Gross, along with Staci Lamb and Ashley bible, wrote the book Keeping the Wonder. Caitlin interviews Abby and Jenna as they talk about this inspiring yet practical guide for secondary teachers of all grade levels and subjects.
Jenna and Abby talk about the 4 elements of wonder their book highlights: surprise, curiosity, freedom, and inspiration. You’ll also hear a few practical ideas for your own classroom!
By the end of this episode, you’ll be itching to get your hands on a copy of Keeping the Wonder, which will not only inspire you to try new, engaging ideas in your classroom but act as an easy-to-use lesson planning resource. Take a listen and see for yourself!
Tune in now to hear:
- [00:40] Welcome to the podcast, Jenna Copper and Abby Gross! Jenna is a high school ELA teacher and part-time education professor. Abby Gross is a middle school reading teacher.
- [04:00] Caitlin introduces Jenna and Abby’s new book, Keeping the Wonder.
- [04:50] Jenna talks about the origins of their book, which they wrote along with Staci Lamb and Ashley Bible. It all started with a message on Instagram and a home design blog post!
- [07:00] Secondary teachers everywhere are looking for the same thing: a way to reignite wonder in themselves and their students.
- [07:30] Jenna talks about the workshops they hold for teachers looking for inspiration and content ideas.
- [10:40] Jenna discusses the 4 elements of wonder: surprise, curiosity, freedom, and inspiration.
- [14:00] Cailtin talks about one of the book’s ideas she has used in her classroom: panel discussions.
- [14:40] Abby and Jenna share their favorite part of Keeping the Wonder.
- [17:30] Jenna shares one of her favorite fun and practical ideas to add surprise: a flashbulb prop
- [20:00] You can learn more about Keeping the Wonder and its concepts or even join a workshop here. You can also follow these authors on Instagram!
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss a single episode. We add a brand-new episode every week, and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra awesome today, we would be super grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast, and they’re also so much fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let us know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!