No, we’re not digging into the frustrations of low-toner and double-sided printing. Today, Caitlin and Jessica will talk about what a copy machine has to do with your success as a teacher.
Listen in as Jessica walks you through an exercise to help you explore how your language affects your mindset and motivation. It’s a real opener!
Next, Caitlin will talk about the “copy machine experiment” and what it shows us about the power of the word “because.” This little word really packs a punch, and Jessica will teach you how to apply it in your thinking and goal-setting, to really be the teacher you want to be.
Tune in now to hear:
- [01:40] Reminder: Batch Planning Live is happening on June 27 and 28. Come join us and have at least the first 90 days of your upcoming school year planned before your summer has barely begun! You’ll also get to connect with ELA teachers from around the world and watch some truly inspiring and helpful speakers. 100% of this event’s profits will go to the EB charitable fund to support educational causes around the world. See the bottom of these notes for a link to sign up, plus coupon codes!
- [03:20] Caitlin shares the speakers you will get to watch at Batch Planning Live: Blake Fly will talk about engaging students and understanding their world; Michelle and Bridget from Teaching on the Double will teach you how to actually finish your to-do list; Neill Williams will speak on productivity and work/life balance.
- [04:30] The importance of the Be, Do, Thrive mentality
- [05:10] Jessica walks listeners through a powerful exercise. Listen to the steps, then pause the episode to try it yourself! Once can be personal, but the other two should be related to teaching / your professional life. How do these statements make you feel?
- [05:50] Step 1: Come up with 3 “I should” statements.
- [06:30] Step 2: Take these same 3 statements, but replace “I should” with “I could.” How do your feelings change?
- [07:10] Step 3: Take these same 3 statements, but no replace “I could” with I can. What changes? You probably feel more confident!
- [08:00] Cailtin ties this exercise into the “copy machine experiment” and the power of “because”
- [09:10] Cailtin discusses how wording affects desired outcomes
- [11:10] Step 4: Add a “because” to your 3 “I can” statements. “I can do this because . . .” You got this!
Click here to join us for Batch Planning Live, June 27 and 28: https://www.ebteacher.com/summer2022BPL
*Please note this live event has passed
Batch Planning Live coupon codes (good through May 21, 2022)::
- EARLYSUMMER-REGBPL22 (regular ticket)
- EARLYSUMMER-VIPBPL22 (VIP ticket)
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss a single episode. We add a brand-new episode every week, and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra awesome today, we would be super grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast, and they’re also so much fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let us know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!