Teaching writing can be a huge waste of time. Yes, you heard that right – but let Caitlin and Jessica explain! When students’ essays are impossible to understand or are not much more than summaries, and when you are absolutely dreading grading them, something has to change. Thankfully, there’s a great way to do just that.
Jessica and Caitlin explain how the EB Writing framework offers students a comprehensive, step-step-step method for essay writing. Reinforce the framework all year for maximum results and essays you actually want to grade.
Listen in to hear from teachers who have used this framework with great success in their classrooms. Even better, learn how you can gain more in-depth knowledge of this simple but awesome writing approach!
Tune in now to hear:
- [01:00] Caitlin starts off the episode with a controversial statement: writing can be a huge waste of time.
- [01:30] Caitlin and Jessica discuss common frustrations in grading students’ essays. What separates your strong writers from your weaker writers?
- [04:40] What’s the real problem with writing instruction in many classes? In so many classes, writing has no instruction!
- [05:10] Ask yourself: Do you include writing in your ELA class? (The answer is probably “yes”!) Now, ask yourself, “Do you teach your students how to write in your class? Each part of an essay?
- [06:00] This is why teachers need an effective framework to help teach writing! Something to rinse and repeat throughout the year and reinforce regularly.
- [07:00] Jessica shares the story of how she and Caitlin created the EB writing framework for their students. What makes it effective? It shows students each step of the process.
- [08:00] The importance of reinforcing the framework multiple times throughout the year
- [10:20] After using this approach, you’re going to want to grade your students’ essays! Plus, with smoother student writing, your grading will be faster, too!
- [13:20] Caitlin shares a powerful teacher testimonial.
- [14:10] Caitlin explains how improving students’ writing confidence builds teacher confidence, too!
- [14:40] Want to learn about this EBW framework in more depth? Join us for a writing workshop this summer!
- [15:00]: Jessica shares another great teacher testimonial.
Click here to watch on Youtube!
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, we want to encourage you to do that today. We don’t want you to miss a single episode. We add a brand-new episode every week, and if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra awesome today, we would be super grateful if you left us a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find our podcast, and they’re also so much fun for us to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let us know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
What you do is what teachers have always needed! Thank you!
Aww, thank you! I’m so glad you are finding it helpful.